COVID-19 Information and Standard Operating Protocols for Uganda
UPDATED 2ND JULY 2021
In response to the current global COVID-19 outbreak, we have developed the following guidelines for the operation of all our camps, lodges, boats and safari services in Uganda. These protocols are in line with guidelines communicated by the Uganda Ministry of Health and are aligned to protocols and advice from the World Health Organization.
Due to the fluid situation on the ground in Uganda the entry requirements may be subject to change with very little notice and we therefore recommend you contact our reservations team for any further updates required.
From 18th June 2021 all visitors to Uganda that require entry visas are required to apply and obtain them in advance of arrival via the on-line application service on the following link https://visas.immigration.go.ug/ Visas are no longer available on arrival.
Uganda Government Guidelines require that all passengers entering Uganda are required to present a printed valid Negative PCR COVID19 test result issued within 72 Hours of travel to Uganda. Please note the 72 hours begins on the day the sample is collected for testing.
In addition, arrivals have been categorised as follows:
Category 1 – Currently only includes India and travel from here has been suspended unless returning Uganda Nationals with negative PCR COVID19 test result.
Category 2 – United States of America (USA), United Kingdom (UK), United Arab Emirates (UAE), Turkey, South Africa, Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan and Tanzania.
Arrivals from Level 2 countries who have been fully vaccinated, provide proof thereof and display no symptoms on arrival, will be exempted from the arrival PCR COVID-10 test and can proceed directly on their journey from the airport.
Arrivals from Level 2 countries who have not been fully vaccinated require a further PCR COVID-19 test upon arrival, at a fee of between $50-65 per guest, depending upon procedure used.
For our safari guests we pre-arrange the arrival COVID-19 test utilising the Association of Uganda Tour Operators (AUTO) Tourist Test on-line application process. Our representative will meet the guests at the airport arrival area and accompany them to the Tourism Health Desk for registration verification. From there, our driver and vehicle will transfer the guests by road (10 min) to the nearby testing centre. Once the test has been executed guests are permitted to proceed to their designated Entebbe hotel where they overnight or await (approximately 60 – 90 minutes) confirmation of a negative result before proceeding on their onward journey. Full details of the procedure and any special requirements should be discussed with our reservation’s office before arrival.
For guests traveling independently – The arrival PCR COVID-19 test process is arranged by the Government authorities with bus transportation (10 min) from the airport to the nearby testing centre where the sampling and testing procedure is executed and guests are required to wait (approximately 3-4 hours) for a negative result before proceeding on their onward journey. Accommodation and meals can be arranged for during the waiting period, please discuss these arrangements as well as any other special requirements with our reservation’s office before arrival.
Category 3 – Arrivals from all other countries do not require additional PCR COVID-19 testing upon arrival, providing they do not display symptoms and are in possession of a negative PCR COVID-19 test result.
All passengers departing from Uganda are required to present a printed negative PCR COVID19 test result issued within 72 hours prior to Departure from Uganda. This is required even if the country you are traveling to does not require it. If the destination country requires a test certificate of less than 72 hours, then this requirement would take priority.
We will ensure all areas of concern are covered as per below, but encourage all our guests joining us on their safari and at all our properties to also adhere to the protocols to ensure their personal safety at all times.
Safari and Transfer Vehicles:
- All our Drivers and Safari Guides have been trained on COVID-19 prevention procedures and will wear approved masks at all times whilst operating with guests on board any vehicle. All our Drivers and Guides will also work with our guests to ensure minimum contact with the public en route between Lodges and Scheduled Activates to ensure limited contact is ensured.
- All our Drivers and Safari Guides are regularly tested for COVID19 to optimise guests’ safety at all times.
- On all our vehicle trips guests will have their temperature taken on arrival and thereafter recorded daily whilst on safari. If a temperature of above 38 Degrees Celsius is measured the guest will be isolated until arrangements can be made for them to be transferred to the nearest approved health facility.
- All guests are encouraged to wear their masks at all times throughout their trip. In addition, sealed disposable paper tissues will be available whilst on safari and can be discarded in the sealable waste bin provided in the vehicles.
- All our vehicles will be deep cleaned and sanitized prior to the start of your safari. At the end of each travel day, all high contact surfaces will be sanitized.
- Easy to follow notices are placed in all our vehicles to remind guests to use available hand sanitizers placed on board as well as a reminder to wear approved masks and wash their hands regularly.
- On all our vehicle trips guests will be encouraged not to rotate seats as well as not occupy the front passenger seat to assist with social distancing arrangements.
- All vehicle trips will be limited to an appropriate number of guests to ensure most effective and practical social distancing. Our reservations office will work with you with regards to shared vehicle trips to discuss options for vehicles and number of passengers on board to ensure the safety and health of all guests and staff on board
Hotel / Lodges:
- All guests at all our properties will have their temperature taken on arrival and this will be recorded as above. If a temperature of above 38 Degrees Celsius is measured the guest will be isolated until arrangements can be made for them to be transferred to the nearest approved health facility.
- Easy to follow notices at our properties remind guests to utilize the hand sanitizers placed throughout the properties as well as to wear approved masks and wash their hands regularly.
- Food and beverage service areas as well as all other public areas have been rearranged to ensure social distancing guideline have been adhered.
- Food and beverage service areas as well as all other public areas that have high frequency use will be regularly sanitized.
- We encourage all guests to assist by reusing bathroom towels to limit their movement while guests are staying any of our properties. Proper procedures are in place through all our properties to ensure preventative laundry procedures are in place.
- Personal services such as sauna, massages and guest laundry may be limited or unavailable as necessary, to ensure the safety of guests and staff.
- All our Staff at all our properties have been trained on COVID-19 prevention procedures and will wear approved masks at all times whilst on the property.
- Staff that interact with guests at all of our properties reside on site, thus limiting their movement on high-risk public transport.
- All Staff temperature will be constantly monitored and recorded.
- All Staff will ensure the regular use of hand sanitizer and will wash their hands regularly.
- All Staff areas as well as back of house areas at all our properties will be regularly sanitized and cleaned.
- All Boat Skippers have been trained on COVID-19 prevention procedures and will wear approved masks at all times whilst operating with guests on board any boat.
- All guests on all boat trips will have their temperature taken on arrival and this will be recorded. If a temperature of above 38 Degrees Celsius is measured the guest will not be allowed to enter the boat and will be isolated until arrangements can be made for them to be transferred to the nearest approved health facility.
- All guests are encouraged to wear their masks at all times throughout their trip.
- Easy to follow notices are placed in all our boats to remind guests to use available hand sanitizers placed on board as well as a reminder to wash their hands regularly.
- All our boats will be deep cleaned and sanitized prior to use – including all exterior and interior surfaces.
- All boat trips will be limited to an appropriate number of guests to ensure efficient social distancing is adhered to. Our reservations office will be in touch with regards to boat trips to discuss options on all boat trips to ensure the safety and health of all guests and staff on board.